The HOUR Endurance Challenge
Prepare yourself for a brand new endurance race concept in Africa... a crazy event that will challenge everything you always thought you knew about endurance events, lap racing and race village parties.
Oh yes, it is time to get ready for "THE HOUR" Race!!
WHAT IS THE HOUR RACE
The HOUR is an endurance event that favors the strongest mind... not the fastest athlete. Start a new lap every hour on the dot for as many times as you can. 2 hours or 60 hours or anything inbetween... your body and mind will determine the number. How long can you push on?
The Hour Endurance Race - Lap racing redefined.
HOW IT WORKS
It is extremely simple. Participants will all start together exactly on the hour at a certain time. An hour glass will be turned and you will have exactly an hour to finish your lap and stop (a12km lap for those doing the MTB race and 6km lap for the trail runners). As soon as the hour glass runs empty after an hour, a new lap will start and everyone that wishes to continue, will all start together again for another lap. This process of starting a new lap every hour sharp, will continue until the last person fails to start a new lap. You cannot skip any hourly group start if you wish to stay in the race. So the last man/women standing and who have done every hourly start, will be the winner.
It means that if you go fast and finish a lap in, let's say, 30 minutes, you have 30 minutes to rest, eat and relax before you have to be at the start line again for the start of the next lap on the next hour sharp. If you choose to go slower, you will be fresher on the route but will have less time to rest and eat before the hour is over and you have to get to the line for the start of the next lap.
If you are not at the start line for any of the hourly starts, your race is over. Or if you fail to finish a lap in the given hour, your race is also over.
This will continue for 60 hours or until the last runner fails to start a new lap. After 60 hours, if there are still more that 1 left competing, there will be a "sudden" death lap that will entail a sprint lap and the fastest finisher of this lap will be the ultimate winer.
It will be crazy, it will be tough, it will have huge spectator value and we will make sure it has the perfect race-to-party ratio with all day, all night race village festivities for participants and supporters :-)
Are you ready for THE HOUR?
ALL THE DETAILS
Date: 9 - 11 August 2019
Race Format: Solo
Entry Fee: R395 per person (including a free event t-shirt and goodie bag)
Race Village: The Cowhouse, Hazeldean Valley Trails, Pretoria, Gauteng
Start Time: Friday, 9 August at 07h00
Final Cut-off (if there are still participants standing): after 60 hours on Sunday, 11 August at 19h00
Lap Distance: MTB - 10 to 12km
Minimum Laps to receive a medal: 5 laps
Special Medal: to all who do 30 laps or more
Terrain: Easy, flat trails. Single track and jeep track
Race Village Facilities: Toilets, showers, electricity, crash zone (for power naps; own bedding to be supplied), food vendors, cash bar and much more.
Support Crew: Allowed in the race village
The HOUR Race employs a very simple concept and therefor very few rules are required. For the sake of safety and fairness though, the small set of rules below will apply:
1) As a participant, you must start a new lap every single hour. You cannot skip a lap at any time if you wish to remain in the race.
2) You have to be at the start line, ready to start the new lap, exactly on every hour.
3) If you are late for a lap start, your race is over
4) If you fail to complete a lap in the allowed hour, your race is over
5) You are not allowed to enter or exit the lap route at any other point than the demarcated neutral zone in the race village.
6) You have to finish a lap before you can sleep, eat, rest, etc for the remainder of that hour.
7) You are allowed to have a support crew in the race village but not on the route.
8) You are responsible for your own hydration, food and nutrition for the full duration of your event.
9) You are allowed to set up a chair and a cooler box at the lap start area. If you need a bigger space, there is a open field area that will be made available for pitching a small tent or gazebo. No caravans or camping trailers will be allowed because of limited space available.
This event should be considered a personal challenge. Test your limits and endurance to see how long you can keep going... for how many hourly starts you can convince yourself to toe the start line. This is your race, this is your challenge, this is your hour.