Pottie's How To: Manual

The manual is a fundamental mountain bike skill. A correctly timed manual can help you get over obstacles and through tough terrain. A good manual technique will also improve your jumping and bunny hops. In this video, downhill mountain bike racer Johann Potgieter shows us how to learn to manual.

Comments

varkie2, May 17 2017 12:36

where is this video taken? Its somewhere near stellenbosch but i dont recognise it.

mongooser, May 17 2017 01:41

its at paarl

MphatiPyga, May 17 2017 06:10

I noticed with both the videos to date Pottie is doing the wheelie and manual with the tradition DH saddle slammed down position. Would I be correct in presuming that it this makes it easier, therefore dropper post down for the learning part of these skills? From my memory my BMX was definitely easier to wheelie than I'm finding my mountain bike, or maybe it's an age thing and I'm more scared of landing on my ass now!

Iwan Kemp, May 17 2017 06:16

Cascades Manor, Paarl

nox1111, May 18 2017 10:13

Wheelie is easier with your seat around 2/3 of full height imo, and manual - as low as you can drop it. You want to move down and then back to get the back on the back wheel and stable.  Sure you can wheelie with your seat low and manual with your seat high - but not really comfortable in either.

MphatiPyga, May 18 2017 08:13

Thanks for that Nox!!

nonky, May 19 2017 06:20

thanks, but not really that helpful..."lean back and i'm sure you'll get it after a few tries..".  OK, got that.

stefmeister, May 19 2017 08:25

Cascades Manor, Paarl

Aren't those trails burned down?

gtfury, May 19 2017 09:20

Nonky, not just lean back....push feet forward and pull up on the bar also.. The advice is given on the video. U have to get the bike up first. Its the balance that takes a few tries. But it needs practise....no one can just tell u how and then you can do it. U will have to put in some time. I recommend practising wheelies first. Im sure u will get it.

This was done before the fires at Cascades manor.

Greetings
Pottie

gtfury, May 19 2017 09:24

Correct Nox...I would say for wheelies saddle not at full height...however I would say to practise it not at full height..at the point where you can do it easy...u could wheelie and manual with your seat at any height. However with a manual the tecniques are a bit different if your seat is high or low.. when its low u can use your legs to get the balance point....but when its high, u can only sit on the saddle and u would have to use your back brake to create the balance point.

All the best with the practise

Greetings
Pottie

X-FUSION SHOX, May 19 2017 12:52

Why is your name "gtfury" Pottie?

mongooser, May 19 2017 05:14

been trying to land in a manual on a jumps a lot

this actually helped for that,i can go 2m after landing and then i lose the manual