Africa Cycle Fair 2015: The Mountain Bikes

The Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair took place this past weekend at St Stithians in Johannesburg. As the biggest showcase of the South Africa cycling industry, Bike Hub were there to cover the products on display. First up are some of the mountain bikes (and a BMX) that were on display.

Yeti

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-8.jpg

The Yeti SB6c looking menacing with it's Switch Infinity suspension, Fox 36 fork and wide Loaded carbon rims.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-11.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-10.jpg

Getting up close and personal with Yeti's Switch Infinity system.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-13.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-14.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-15.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-16.jpg

The ASRC cross-country race bike. Yeti claims that it descends as well as it climbs. This particular build features a mixed drivetrain: SRAM up front and Shimano Di2 in the rear.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-9.jpg

The SB4.5c is set to bring Switch Infinity to 29 inch wheels in a neat looking trail bike.

Pivot

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-1.jpg
Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-2.jpg

The Pivot Mach 429 features a 100mm DW-link suspension. A sag indictor allows riders to set the bike to their riding style (for a more XC or trail feel). Up front the Mach 429 is designed to carry a 120mm fork.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-3.jpg

The Mach 6 packs a punch with its 155mm DW-link suspension, slack and long geometry and Fox 36. It has the makings of a decent do-it-all enduro bike.

Specialized

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-4.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-5.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-6.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-7.jpg

With a slacker head angle, shorter stays and a lower bottom bracket, the 2016 Specialized Camber promises to be a trail eater. It features the SWAT Door which allows you to stash your contraband (or tools) in the down tube.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-41.jpg
Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-44.jpg

The Stumpjumper FSR Expert 6Fattie looks like a playful bike to ride with its 3" 650b plus tyres.

Banshee and Transition

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-17.jpg

One of the more vibrant stands at the fair was the Banshee and Transition corner.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-18.jpg

The brightness of this Bashee Darkside downhill was too much for our camera to handle.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-23.jpgThis Transition Patrol was one of the stand out bikes in the Best Bike of Africa competition.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-19.jpg
The Transition Scout has all the makings of a properly fun trail bike.

Giant

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-27.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-26.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-25.jpg

This Giant Anthem X Advanced build is unique to South Africa. The bike retails for R74,000 and features Shimano's XTR Di2 groupset, a Fox Factory 32 fork, and Mavic wheels. A sweet deal in that price range.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-24.jpg

The cheerful Giant Reign 27.5 2.

BMC

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-29.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-30.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-31.jpg

The BMC Teamelite soft tail looked the part with it's Micro Travel Technology (MTT) giving the bike 15mm of rear-end compliance.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-28.jpg

BMC Fourstroke 01, winner of the 2014 XCO World Champs under the guidance of Julien Absalon.

Momsen

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-32.jpg

The Vipa Team Limited is Momsen's new range topper. It comes kitted with SRAM Rise 60 carbon wheels, a XX1 drive train, and a RockShox RS1 fork.

Sunday

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-33.jpg

Sunday BMXs look great and come with a lifetime warranty.

Cube

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-35.jpg

Cube Stereo 140 Super HPC Race 27.5.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-37.jpg

The 2015 Cube 120 HPC PRO 29er (with a carbon front triangle) was one of the best bargains at the fair, retailing at R37,000. For this you get a RockShox Reba fork, Shimano XT groupset, Fulcrum wheels and a Reverb dropper post. There are still some sizes left. If you missed out, the local Cube distributor expects the 2016 model to come in just over R40,000.

Easy Motion and BH

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-38.jpg

The Easy Motion Jumper Dual Sus MTB 27.5er e-bike. This machine might not appeal to most MTB enthusiasts but if Europe is anything to go by there's a market out there.

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-39.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-40.jpg

BH Lynx 4.8 29er.

Mercer

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-45.jpg
Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-46.jpg

As a rider of an uglier, less burley steel hardtail, I'm completely smitten with the Hungry Monkey. You won't find any impartiality here, so moving along then.

Titan

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-49.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-48.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-50.jpg

At the fair last year, fat bikes were all the rage. This year there were barely a handful on display. The Titan Whooper pictured above.

Cannondale

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-51.jpg
Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-53.jpg

The 2016 Cannondal Scalpel design remains the same as 2015. However, the paint schemes and components have seen a refresh for the new year.

Haibike

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-55.jpg

The Haibike Sduro ebike was a surprise favourite of all the videos we produced from last year's fair. It seems the Europeans are cottoning on to Bike Hub.

Swift

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-57.jpg

The Swift Evil Twin standing proud at the Best Bike in Africa stand.

Merida

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-47.jpg

The Merida Ninety-Six Team makes a return with an all-new design in 2016.

Pyga

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-60.jpg
Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-61.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-62.jpg

Africa Cycle Fair Mountain Bikes-63.jpg

The Pyga team were swamped with interested in their bikes throughout the fair. Out back, the demo bikes saw countless laps of the St Stithians course. The Pyga Stage and Stage Max (pictured above) receiving much of the attention.

Odinson, Oct 27 2015 03:17

Some gorgeous bikes on display there.

"At the fair last year, fat bikes were all the rage. This year there were barely a handful on display." The fat bike trend fizzled out quicker than Vanilla Ice's music career. To all the guys who bought fat bikes last year and now want to flog them...

ha-ha-nelson-Simpsons-nelson-ha-ha-93-p-

Stevovo, Oct 27 2015 03:56

Which one won the crown of "Best bike in Africa"?

Bibi, Oct 27 2015 03:57

who are the Pivot Importers/Distributors ?

Nick, Oct 27 2015 04:03

Which one won the crown of "Best bike in Africa"?

We hear it will be announced on Friday. But will confirm once we get a definite answer.

who are the Pivot Importers/Distributors ?

Complete Cyclist.

Bibi, Oct 27 2015 04:14

Yusufm_11, Oct 27 2015 05:36

There's so much potential for the fair... Popped by there on Sunday afternoon and being a roadie, I found that majority of the products were MTB related. It could grow to huge heights if a lot of exibitors that we see at 94.7 or the argus expo join as well as other brands in the cycle industry but nonetheless it was really a good experience and vibe

nathrix ® ©™, Oct 27 2015 05:55

Complete Cyclist.

You guys should've snapped some pics of the bicycles parked at the bicycle park, there were some beauties parked there, especially on Sunday :drool:

raptor-22, Oct 27 2015 08:59

can't say that the fatbike trend ending sooner rather than later wasn't unpredictable

EmptyB, Oct 27 2015 09:07

Heard some talk at the cycle fair that fat bike sales have plummeted....I wouldn't know but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Fr33rider, Oct 27 2015 09:13

I secretly lust after a fatbike [emoji85]

Spokey, Oct 27 2015 11:45

And this plus size 650b....whatever it is..thoughts on that? just another fad? It is, however, not for me.

Odinson, Oct 27 2015 11:53

I think that 27.5+ and 29+ is more useful to more riders more of the time than fatbikes. However, time will tell what kind of consumer buy-in there will be in the medium and long term.

Flippa, Oct 28 2015 05:54

A year ago I was looking for a geared bike as a more "trail" oriented ride. Tried a few fat bikes, but couldn't get over how cumbersome they were. Traction is immense, but they are, for want of a better word, "lazy"?

I've been riding my 29+ Krampus for a year now, and it's brilliant. More grip than I'll ever need, but it rides like my other 29er in terms of getting up to speed, etc.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think 27+ will get much more traction[emoji1] in the market due to the buy in from bigger manufacturers like Spez, etc

amasendeinja, Oct 28 2015 07:57

I think 27.5+ may just be the sweet spot for lots of traction and not too much added weight. Particularly if bike brands start building in space enough to add them on standard 29" frames, which some already are. Gets you 2 bikes in one and pretty different rides on each with very little impact on head angle and BB height . 29+ is ok, but for any kind of trail riding the compromise of some pretty long chainstays to make space for those Tyres, makes for a bit of a lumbering hulk of a bike,

Flippa, Oct 28 2015 08:07

I also had the same initial thoughts about the 29+. However, my Krampus is a lot more nimble than its dimensions and look suggest.

worriesnot, Oct 28 2015 08:35

Pyga really impressed me.

Was lekker to be able to chat to Pat Morewood about some of the/his bikes and also giving advice to a friend on which model to get.

Pascoe now firmly in my sights.

oh, and that Hungry Monkey is just an absolute thing of beauty...

BenGraham, Oct 28 2015 08:59

I just watched this http://www.bikemag.c...nsion-platform/ and tried to understand what the heck they were on about. Eventually I realised that this is why I ride a hardtail. All this mumbo jumbo about small bump compliance and etc etc. I'll keep using my legs as my suspension thanks, they are much cheaper and as yet the maintenance costs have been quite low.

Beer4Recovery, Oct 28 2015 12:17

What is the price on a new Yeti SB6 in SA??

NicoBoshoff, Oct 29 2015 06:56

What is the price on a new Yeti SB6 in SA??

MOre than Zuma can pronounce.

MTB0007, Oct 30 2015 07:34

I read the Fat Bike bashing with amusement
I rode one of the Fatties at the fair ON Sunday
Enjoyed it so much I came home and sold my road bike
And purchased a fatty
Not the El cheapo but a mid range Mongoose Argus
Added a FUNN Stem Seatpost and handle bars plus a sella italia saddle.. rides like a 4 x 4 29er .. love it
Bought her so I have one bike for all
I will never race after my accident in the Juma last year so this
Beast will keep me fit and having fun while I ride

KarlvN, Nov 02 2015 08:36

Now, for the all important question?

Why is Cape Town excluded from all this fun, eh?

MTBeer, Nov 02 2015 09:33

I ride a dual sus and don't know what okes are on about half the time with suspension settings. I just get on and ride the bloody thing as fast as possible. I change the odd setting occasionally - can't feel any difference - so don't bother to do it again for many moons.

Carelpieterse, Nov 07 2015 10:18

Some gorgeous bikes on display there.

ha-ha-nelson-Simpsons-nelson-ha-ha-93-p-

Silverback can't keep up with fatbike orders for November and Desember ...........! For most people this would be the second bike and not the only bike........! Try one and you will know what I mean! Long live fatbikes!

MTB0007, Nov 29 2015 04:13

FatBike my only bike ..
Makes riding a Blast again
No road bike no Mtb just a cool fun ride ..