Racing Ray and Racing Ralph: The new cross-country brothers

Two new tires are joining forces to meet the challenges of modern cross-country tracks: With the Racing Ray on the front wheel and the new version of the Racing Ralph on the rear wheel, SCHWALBE is setting the new standard combination for cross-country cycling.

1_Racing_Ray_EVO_TL_Speedgrip_CMYK.jpg

2_Racing_Ralph_EVO_TL_Speed_CMYK.jpg

A powerful XC Team: Racing Ray (left) for the front wheel and the new Racing Ralph on the rear wheel.
Cross-country has developed rapidly in recent years. Jumps, changes of direction, ramps and root passages - all in rapid succession. The tracks are becoming more complex and faster.

"The tires for these modern routes need to roll extremely easily while remaining reliable and durable." The tread has to perform perfectly on a wide variety of surfaces and in all weather conditions. Cornering, acceleration, grip, rolling resistance and braking performance need to be perfectly balanced", stresses Markus Hachmeyer, Senior Product Manager for MTB Tires. "We could only achieve the perfect solution by developing special tires for the front and rear."

So the new tires are at their best when the two types can work together: Racing Ray is a front wheel tire with excellent steering qualities, while Racing Ralph on the rear wheel provides speed and traction. The new cross-country brothers have very different treads, but with both of them, Schwalbe relies on a new version of the rounded blocks which have already made the Fat Albert duo so successful. Special feature: You can convert forces from every direction into a continuous riding experience, making the tires very predictable. "The tires are very forgiving of any mistakes: they recover quickly from a bump or a swerve", explains Markus Hachmeyer.

Racing Ray at the front: Aggressive tread and good steering

As a thoroughbred front tire, the Racing Ray ensures precise steering response, reliable cornering and confidence-inspiring grip right up to the limit. At the same time, it allows for good and controlled braking under all conditions. The stable, barely deformable shoulder blocks support a direct riding style even during extreme cornering.

schwalbe_HS489_racing-ray_57622_line-blue.png

Despite its aggressive tread, it rolls smoothly, quickly and quietly – on its near-closed center strip of offset center blocks. With its many lengthwise gripping edges, the tire constantly strikes the right balance between low friction and grip. It is also important not to underestimate the transition blocks in the area between the center and shoulder. Only they enable a continuous gripping edge. The overall open tread pattern ensures good self-cleaning. The Racing Ray is equipped exclusively with Addix Speedgrip compound - for the optimum grip, speed and durability required of a front wheel.

Racing Ralph at the back: Fast and versatile

The new Racing Ralph is more powerful than its counterpart but hits the ground even lighter. The massive blocks in the middle and the well-supported blocks on the shoulder and in the transition area provide multiple grip edges for traction and propulsion. These, together with the open gaps, ensure better grip on roots and edges as well as good self-cleaning.

schwalbe_HS490_racing-ralph_57622_line-red.png

"The rider can feel how the tire converts the power absorbed directly into forward motion - even at low speeds on steep climbs in wet conditions," stresses the product manager. At the same time the tires roll quietly on an even bearing surface. Since a rear wheel is mainly all about speed, Addix Speed is the ideal compound. Although the new Racing Ralph is designed as a rear wheel specialist, it can also be ridden on the front wheel in very dry conditions.

Both new tires are equipped with Tubeless Easy technology and SnakeSkin, and will be available from specialist bicycle stores from July. Price: 57.90 euro.

Farrnus, May 18 2018 11:16

these look great!!! no mention of what sizes they will be offered in though? #xcaintdead

TheJ, May 18 2018 12:30

You know.... things like tyres.... I can't believe that every iteration of tyres over the last 25 years have been that much better or MUST HAVE than the previous generation. If I close my eyes unless I'm riding on a 1.9" semi slick marathon tyre I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in any tyre I've ever ridden. Feel just as much for companies that make things like saddles... every year some *new* model comes out that makes the previous apparently redundant. Have human asses changed majorly in the last xx years? I'm pretty sure I can go just as fast on a set of Crossmarks than I would on these. Anyway, rant off.

stefmeister, May 18 2018 02:09

Nooit dude,

tyres are the no.1 upgrade for a mtb. I'd say that upgrading drive train components are a waste and has less of an effect than a well lubed and cleaned chain.

Ascension, May 18 2018 03:09

No thanks, the new Schwalbe tyre prices is crazy. I will stick to the lower priced old versions for as long as I can. The old versions are more than good enough for me.

Hairy, May 18 2018 03:19

was reading your post with an open mind ........... then I read the Crossmarks part :P

Schnavel, May 18 2018 03:52

Haha my thinking exactly. You don't got anywhere fast with Crossmarks...

Ascension, May 18 2018 04:17

Crossmarks oh no I prefer the skin on my face to stay there

TheJ, May 18 2018 05:53

Crossmark was an example. Point I was trying to make is any half decent tyres with half decent knobs on.