Details from Momsen Bikes around the new Ultra bike have been scarce but it is clear from looking at the bikes that the geometry has undergone a complete redesign. The prototype Ultra looks to have been heavily influenced by modern geometry trends appearing much longer and slacker compared to the current VIPA. Unfortunately, we don't have exact numbers yet but sitting on the medium frames the bike felt generously sized.
On top of geometry changes, the Ultra boasts all the new standards you'd expect with Boost axle spacing and a metric sized trunnion mounted shock. Two-by drivetrains appear to be an option on the Ultra with the provision of a front derailleur mount.
There are two storage compartments concealed within the frame, one in the extended top tube / down tube junction at the head tube and the other at the base of the down tube below the bottle cage.
The covers for the integrated storage compartments are still being finished, so the team will be using trusty duct tape instead.
Marco and Dylan are riding with Factory Series Fox suspension. A boost 32 SC fork in front while a trunnion mounted Float DPS shock controls the rear. It looks like there is a flip chip on the top tube shock mount for adjustable geometry. And there is space for two 750ml water bottle on these medium sized frames.
Both Marco and Dylan are riding SRAM XX1 Eagle drivetrains but with absoluteBLACK chainrings. Both riders are on Stan's carbon wheels, Marco riding the ZTR Podium SRD and Dylan using the ZTR Valor. The team is riding Continental tyres with the Cross King on front and Race King on the back.
The cockpit features Farr's Endurance carbon handlebar measuring 720 mm and features ergonomic protrusion allowing the riders some relief. The production Ultra is set to use 40 mm stems and Dylan and Marco have opted for the same in the Cape Epic. Both riders are using Shimano brakes with Marco on XTR and Dylan on XT.
The first productions frames are said to arriving in July.
- FrameVIPA Ultra Prototype, Medium Size
- ForkFox Float 32 SC, Factory Series, Kashima, Boost 110, Remote Lockout
- ShockFox Float DPS 2019 Factory Series, Trunnion, 185
- RimsStan’s ZTR Podium SRD Carbon (Marco), Stan’s ZTR Valor Carbon (Dylan)
- HubsStan’s Neo Boost, 110 Front, 148 Rear
- Spokes + NipplesSapim 1.8/1.5/1.8 (Marco), DT Swiss 2.0/1.8/2.0 (Dylan)
- Front TyreContinental Cross King 29 ProTection Series with Stan’s RACE Sealant
- Rear TyreContinental Race King 29 ProTection Series with Stan’s RACE Sealant
- HandlebarFarr Endurance Carbon, 720mm Wide
- GripsMomsen Design Silicone
- StemVIPA Ultra 40mm, 31.8
- HeadsetMomsen Integrated 42/52
- SeatpostKCNC 31.6 (Marco), Momsen Carbon 31.6 (Dylan)
- SaddleRitchey (Marco), Selle Italia (Dylan)
- BrakesShimano XTR (Marco), Shimano XT (Dylan)
- Brake rotorShimano 160 Front and Rear
- ShiftersSram Eagle XX1
- Rear derailleurSram Eagle XX1
- CassetteSram Eagle XX1 10-50T
- Crank armsSram Eagle XX1 Boost, 175
- ChainSram Eagle XX1
- Bottom BracketSram GXP Threaded
- PedalsShimano XTR (Marco), Look S-Track (Dylan)
- Bike computerWahoo Elemnt
- Bottle cagesLezyne Flow SL
We attended a media launch of the Momsen Vipa Ultra at Imbuko Wines in Wellington on 23 March 2018. Victor Momsen gave us a tour of the new bike, one of the three prototypes that currently exist.
Some key updates we had not touched on in the initial Bike Check:
- Updated to 100mm travel (current Vipa has 80mm of travel)
- Flip chip to adjust geometry to better suit stage racing or XCO
- Threaded 73mm bottom bracket
- Integrated dual bottle cage capability (the current Vipa requires an adaptor)
The frame has also been stiffened through the use of Torayca T1000 around the head tube and bottom bracket with a combo of T800 and T700 across the rest of the frame. From initial frame tests this has improved stiffness by 52% in the headtube and 13% in the bottom bracket.
The other obvious touches are the two integrated storage compartments. The top compartment is intended for your bars, gels, etc. which you may want access to on the move. The lower compartment is suited to items like tools, tubes, and bombs keeping the weight lower.
Vipa Ultra Geometry - 100mm Fork (Medium Frame)