The instructions to assemble the PowerSync left me a bit puzzled but I managed to put it together without much fuss. I had the trainer up and running within 10 minutes of unboxing.
To attach your bike to the trainer, you need to use the supplied QR skewer. The PowerSync is designed for rear axle spacings of 120, 130, and 135mm. The PowerSync is compatible with 650b, 700c, 26", and 27" wheel sizes but not 29ers or 650c sizing. If all you have is a 29er, then you'll have to go for another CycleOps trainer like the PowerBeam Pro which supports the larger wheel size.
The neat thing about this electronic trainer is that the resistance can be controlled by software, allowing for the simulation of various route gradients or training programme intensities.
The CycleOps VirtualTraining comes with pre-existing and user generated training programmes and routes (some with video of the road ahead). You can even compete against your friends and strangers. A number of Hubbers have already been using the VirtualTraining software. Read about their experiences here.
The CycleOps PowerSync retails for R11,595.
- ANT+ (Model 9912) or Bluetooth Smart (Model 9913) compatible.
- PowerTap power meter equipped for +/- 5% accurate power readings.
- Some assembly required.
- Features clutch knob for perfect roller to tire tension each ride.
- 2" resistance unit roller allows for 650b, 700c, 26", and 27" wheel sizes.
- Does not fit 29ers or 650c wheel sizes.
- Precision-machined alloy roller reduces tire wear and slippage.
- Noise level at 20 mph is a quiet 69-70 decibels.
- Electronic resistance unit allows for programmable workouts.
- Controlled resistance lets you set your slope, power, and other metrics.
- Eccentric leveling feet allow for easy adjustment on uneven surfaces.
- Comes on the CycleOps foldable Classic frame with spring loaded, bolt-action lever.
- This trainer is designed to fit common road and mountain bike frames with included steel quick release skewer and has three settings for rear dropout spacing: 120mm, 130mm and 135mm.
- Trainer tire recommended.
- CycleOps VirtualTraining compatible.
- The PowerSync is intended to be used with an iPad or Android tablet running the CycleOps VirtualTraining application and does not come with a computer.
- Cadence sensor and ANT+ stick sold separately
The CycleOps PowerSync is available from Bicycle Power Trading either via their dealers in your area or direct on their website.