Froome turned down TUE on 2015 Tour on 'moral grounds'

Britain's triple Tour de France champion Chris Froome declined a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) during the 2015 race because he didn't think it was right morally, he told the BBC on Friday.

The 31-year-old Kenyan-born rider's revelation comes in the wake of hacked medical records showing his former Sky team-mate Bradley Wiggins had been granted TUEs to take the banned anti-inflammatory drug triamcinolone before the 2011 and 2012 Tours de France and the 2013 Giro d'Italia.

Attached Image: Chris Froome.jpg
2016 Tour de France cycling road race winner Christopher Froome of Britain speaks during a press conference of the 2016 Tour de France Saitama Criterium in Saitama on October 28, 2016. TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA / AFP

Froome, who did take TUEs twice previously to treat asthma prior to the key Tour de France lead-up, the 2013 Criterium Dauphine and the 2014 Tour de Romandie both of which he won, said he decided against accepting the TUE on the 2015 Tour de France as it didn't sit well with him.

"I didn't feel having a TUE in the last week of the Tour was something I was prepared to do," he told the BBC. "It did not sit well morally with me."

Froome, who is eyeing a rare Grand Tour double this year (the Tour de France and the Vuelta) having failed in his attempt last season, said the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) could end the debate about TUE's by making the rules surrounding them clearer.

"The fact that we're having that debate about authenticity means there's a problem with the system," said Froome.

"I think WADA need to tighten their regulations around TUEs, so they're not something that we question, their legitimacy.

"It's not good for sport in general.

"The fact that we're discussing the validity of results, that brings it back to the authorities, it is something they need to tighten up on so that there aren't questions being asked anymore."

Comments

rock, Jan 08 2017 09:17

froome-inhaler22.png

Wahoofish, Jan 08 2017 09:43

A sideways swipe at Mr Wiggins perhaps - lol

Delgado, Jan 08 2017 10:20

It appears that a vital quality in the make up of a professional cyclist is the ailment of asthma?!?

carbon29er, Jan 08 2017 10:31

What BS. He was so ill he apparently needed a TUE, refused it and went on to finish 5th on the Alpe not far enough behind Quintana to lose the tour. And dropped very little time in that final week when he was apparently ill enough to get a TUE.

If that was sick enough to get a TUE then the system is as farked as we know it is.

Kalahari Vegmot, Jan 08 2017 10:39

I really want to believe this is true... But honestly there are just so many of these cases already that it's hard to believe, even though you want to...

I just wish we could have the full truth once-perhaps an athlete who shares all his training and diet data willingly, and takes nothing that even looks shady, oh how I wish...

Pah Bear, Jan 08 2017 10:44

He said he thinks the system is questionable thus all the discussion. So you just repeating the man. Can't really see why you think it's all BS. The guys been spat at, chucked with p and more and if he felt that he'd rather not do anything that could be considered questionable by the conspiracy brigade, why the serious degree of disbelief Mr Conspiracy?

EmptyB, Jan 08 2017 11:09

Damned if you do...damned if you don't!

Delgado, Jan 08 2017 11:22

Heard from a medical practitioner that if anyone requires some of the medications listed under TUE's the individual would be in no condition to stand up let alone race up an Alpe on the blade...........

Sharkie 2, Jan 08 2017 11:34

Been said many times before...these okes are not clean no matter how hard they preach it.

This whole Sky team is a replay of the US Postal Team of Armstrong

Eugene, Jan 09 2017 06:34

So, he refused to accept the TUE because it was immoral. But......he did accept the TUE in previous events, which he won.

Is he stating that he was not moral back then?

Next thing is why state that it is not moral to take medicine when you are sick? Unless, you are taking medicine when you are not really sick.

Was he sick or was he immoral when he had the TUE in those previous races?

Gen, Jan 09 2017 06:55

The guys just needs to eat more then he won't get sick in the last week of a GT.

'Dale, Jan 09 2017 07:17

Froome Dawg is distancing himself from Wiggo and, to a degree, Brailsford.

Let's see where this takes his career.

#politics

Gen, Jan 09 2017 07:28

Froome Dawg is distancing himself from Wiggo and, to a degree, Brailsford.

Let's see where this takes his career.

#politics

Yip, in all fairness he has said before (before this Wiggo stuff) that the TUE system needs changing (This was after this own whole TUE saga).

Personally I don't think athletes should be allowed to miss any tests.. but hey that's probably also not realistic and things often happen that could cause a missed test.. snuggling your wife not being one of them.[emoji39]

'Dale, Jan 09 2017 07:34

I think Froome Dawg has done well to assure the fans of "this jersey will stand the test of time".

Politically, I think he is distancing himself from Team Sky and British Cycling in the process.

They are under severe pressure.

Lots of issues from TUE-gate to Wiggo-gate to Sexism to 'conflict of interest between British Cycling and the Skyborgs

Let's see where it all goes

I think he signed a two year contract last year?

Gen, Jan 09 2017 07:40

They are under severe pressure.

Let's see where it all goes

I think he signed a two year contract last year?

Ja think so too.. I honestly can't see him riding for another team though. That said..Sky will come under a lot of pressure for the next year more so than ever and I reckon all eyes will be on anything that looks half dodge. How they deal with it is the question, so far Brailsford has dealt with it terribly. Perhaps a change of management could be on the cards?

'Dale, Jan 09 2017 07:49

Yeah, thus far, B'ford has really come across poorly

I was surprised as he is very astute

I reckon British cycling will do what they can to protect their image

Changing leadership will be one such move

Bring on the racing season already  :clap:

Gen, Jan 09 2017 07:51

Yeah, thus far, B'ford has really come across poorly
I was surprised as he is very astute

I reckon British cycling will do what they can to protect their image
Changing leadership will be one such move

Bring on the racing season already :clap:

Almost Dale..only a few more sleepies.

Fat Boab, Jan 09 2017 07:54

100%! In such situations, I suppose it's easy to focus on the negative, but Sir Dave seems to be challenged when it comes to handling conflict, be it with disgruntled riders, between disgruntled riders, or with the media or parliamentary committees. Who'd make a good designate?

Gen, Jan 09 2017 08:04

100%! In such situations, I suppose it's easy to focus on the negative, but Sir Dave seems to be challenged when it comes to handling conflict, be it with disgruntled riders, between disgruntled riders, or with the media or parliamentary committees. Who'd make a good designate?

They'll try and keep it British.

It would need to be someone completely new that isn't already part of team Sky or British cycling.

To be honest this would be the only solution to their current situation. But to find someone with the knowhow that hasn't been tainted is going to be really tough.

Millar is a name that just popped into my head, but he is very tainted... I do see that he is doing some work for British Cycling as a mentor to the youngsters.

kosmonooit, Jan 09 2017 08:44

This sits well with my view of Christopher's character, perhaps its time to move on from Sky boet, and stop pretending to be a Brit.

The Sir's in Team Sky leadership seem to have shown themselves to be bigots and hypocrites. And Queenie just had a cold and missed tea.

kosmonooit, Jan 09 2017 08:49

They'll try and keep it British.

Sky wouldn't have anything to do with Dave because they were all high & might aboiut having anything to do with dopers (never mind the TUE's though: BOLLOX),  but his sister worked (or still works) for them. However, I think Dave has helped a lot with his forthright attitude and 'coming clean' with all the stories of doping, he has helped to move cycling into a new era.

Patchelicious, Jan 09 2017 08:53

Damned if you do...damned if you don't!

This! People have set opinions. No matter what he does or doesn't do, people are going to find fault with him.

Made me think of this pic from another thread:

65724e3f9477cf369d38c4a7136db9d0.jpg

Froome should actually just keep quiet now. Knives are out for Sir and Sir, and he should just take a chill from this saga.

I wish upon a star that we would have such frequent and robust discussions about all the teams and their shenanigans.

Pure Savage, Jan 09 2017 08:54

Shows you what a beast he is!

Oufy MTB (Roadie), Jan 09 2017 09:33

Excellent point! whilst one focus on 'the' team, what are the others doing? Very much like in the Lance era, no one else was doping except him

Patchelicious, Jan 09 2017 09:57

Some being the operative word there, not all of, most of, plenty of, majority of.... SOME.

Most of the items on that list are not "I can't stand up" type of stuff.