Louis Meintjes withdraws from Tour of California

Louis Meintjes has been forced to withdraw from the Amgen Tour of California after sustaining a wrist fracture in a crash in the finale of the stage four finish in Morro Bay.

The incident happened with just over 3km remaining, and saw a number of key general classification riders affected including race leader Tejay van Garderen (EF).

The 27 year-old bravely completed the stage in obvious discomfort and was immediately seen to by our medical team at the finish, after which he was taken to a local hospital for further investigation. He will now travel to Hamburg for further treatment by a specialist hand surgeon.

Meintjes had only recently returned to racing at the Tour de Romandie after a lengthy spell on the sidelines following a groin injury sustained in a crash at Paris-Nice.

He had shown some strong form in California, being placed just outside the top-20 on the general classification with the queen stage, the finish at Mt. Baldy, still to come.

An update on his health will be provided in due course.

Jakkals., May 16 2019 10:28

Bugger, he did a good ride on stage 2. At least its a wrist and not a leg. Being fresh going into le tour will only be to his advantage.

fanievb, May 16 2019 10:34

when last has he been on form?

if he's not sick, he crashes.

I really like the oke, but maybe it's time he takes a decent break.

Pure Savage, May 16 2019 11:09

Did not realise he was there...

Jaco-fiets, May 16 2019 11:27

when last has he been on form?

if he's not sick, he crashes.

I really like the oke, but maybe it's time he takes a decent break.

Also like the guy but looking at his performance lately Cav probably has a better chance of winning a grand tour......

W@nted, May 16 2019 11:35

#myf0klouis

s14phoenix, May 16 2019 11:51

I do feel sorry for the guy - trying to get back on form only to have another set back.

I hope he recovers well - I think we all like the oke and would like to see him do VERY well - maybe even win a mountain stage in a GT soon...

Clinton H, May 16 2019 12:52

Did anyone actually think he was going to finish ?

Jakkals., May 16 2019 01:42

We need to get behind Louis, he is our guy! Our only guy!!!

Sometimes I think people read hubbers will rather be too happy for him to retire and be the end. bollocks! Lets stop being negative and critical.

Yes we have a deep desire for him to win and I promise, inside him, theres also the desire to win. So lets stand behind him, win or loose!

W Smith, May 16 2019 03:57

We need to get behind Louis, he is our guy! Our only guy!!!

Nice words but... when you  compare him to the Yates brothers who have ridden consistently  well this year  I have my doubts whether LM will be a major contender in the remaining grand  tours this year  .

Plentipotential, May 17 2019 09:56

How can we get behind LM when none of the pro riders he rides with get behind him? If he's not at the back of the group he's in the back of the team car!

And before you lambaste me for being unpatriotic let me remind you that he is not being paid to fetch the water!