SRAM NX Upgrade - Now Everyone can afford to ride 1 x 12

What do you do when your 2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 is still in a great condition but the drivetrain is in need of some lovin'? You upgrade to 12 speed. And not just any 12 speed, SRAM's recently launched NX Eagle 12 speed.

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-88.jpg

The bike belongs to Belinda Bosch who bought the Anthem from Giant Durbanville in 2015. She got back on the bike and into riding in March after some time off due to an injury late 2016. The concern initially was whether moving to a 1 x drivetrain will cover the ratio she needed and was used to, and how her riding would need to adapt, if at all.

Out with the old

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-18.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-9.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-23.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-30.jpg

In with the new

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-4.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-2.jpg

While 1x drivetrains were not unheard of, it was SRAM who brought the simplicity of 1x drivetrains to market when they launched XX1 11 speed with narrow/wide chainrings, a clutch rear derailleur, and several other clever chain retention and shifting advancements.

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-37.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-39.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-43.jpg

With NX Eagle, upgrading from a 2x drivetrain is both affordable and easy, as the NX Eagle cassette is compatible with ordinary splined freehub bodies like the one used on Belinda's Anthem. The NX Eagle system has a gear range of around 454% (11-50T), whereas the other Eagle cassettes have a gear range of 500% (10-50T). The NX drivetrain is fully compatible with components across SRAM's Eagle range should you wish to mix and match, including the NX Eagle derailleur which is designed to be compatible with the wider ranges of the GX, X01, and XX1 10-50T Eagle cassettes. The NX Eagle cassette is also the only cassette in the Eagle family designed to be durable enough to withstand the increased demands of E-MTB applications.

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-45.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-49.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-61.jpg

NX Eagle may be the budget option in the line-up but it is not short on technology. The shifter uses a MatchMaker X clamp to make handlebar set up neat and easy. As each clamp accepts up to three controls, you can fit everything from your XLoc suspension lockout, SRAM shifters, brake levers, as well as your Reverb XLoc remote all on two clamps.

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-69.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-71.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-76.jpg

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-79.jpg

SRAM's Roller Bearing Clutch can be found on the NX Eagle rear derailleur as well as Cage Lock. The SRAM NX crankset delivers Eagle styling and performance to the newest addition to the Eagle ecosystem. Designed for SRAM’s X-SYNC2 chainrings, the NX crankset is engineered for complete chain control—each tooth’s profile is precisely engineered to work quietly, efficiently and securely with the Eagle chain’s inner and outer links. DUB technology features a better-engineered bottom bracket and a new spindle design, which together allows for a more uniform approach to bottom bracket fitment, better sealing against contamination and with forward and backward compatibility.

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-80.jpg

All Belinda can say now is that the bike rides like a dream. She finds it easier to not have to worry about shifting in front and that the bike is simpler to clean!

SRAM NX Eagle Upgrade-86.jpg

Headshot, Nov 15 2018 10:32

Nice but shoulda added a dropper post at the same time :-)

Ferro, Nov 15 2018 10:47

Title mentions affordability but doesn't mention a price anywhere.

MDK!, Nov 15 2018 12:52

They made the GX's price higher and the NX costs the same as what the GX used to be...So no.. Just heavier not more affordable

Hairy, Nov 15 2018 01:35

Paid a visit to the Giant Durbanville store for the first time about a week or two ago .... what great service and a really well stocked shop with basically full range of Giant bikes in store!

Best wishes guys!

GavS, Nov 15 2018 02:33

i noticed this too

Ascension, Nov 15 2018 02:42

11-speed Shimano/Sunrace forever!

Traveler, Nov 15 2018 02:53

The RRP for GX has actually come down in Euro and Dollar in the past 12 months. Only in ZA has it gone the other direction.

Have transplanted a couple of bikes from lesser 10/11-speed groupsets to Eagle NX, and it is a super straightforward and easy process. Every rider has commented how their bikes now shifts much quicker and quieter.

Grease_Monkey, Nov 15 2018 03:03

Story of most things in SA. Price goes up when the Rand weakens, but stays the same when the Rand strengthens - does not make sense at all.

Dirkitech, Nov 16 2018 07:15

It mentions going from 2x to NX 1x12, but what about going from 3x to NX 1x12?

GavS, Nov 16 2018 08:25

It mentions going from 2x to NX 1x12, but what about going from 3x to NX 1x12?

no different...they replaced everything (minus the brakes) anyway

Lighthouse, Nov 16 2018 10:51

I fitted a GX in March this year and had to replace the chain, cassette and chain ring on October this year due to wear and tear. This was after about 3,000 km. LBS tells me that the GX/NX is cheaper but not that durable and they have a lot of comebacks on this. I was advised to upgrade to the next level which I believe is XX0 or XX1, not sure anymore. I could not afford the suggestion that was made and settled on GX again with XX0 chain. Is this true though and how many kilometers can one expect from a cassette and chain with proper care and cleaning?

lechatnoir, Nov 16 2018 11:37

South Africa - where exchange rates even affect old stock!!

GavS, Nov 16 2018 03:29

heard plenty of issues with GX..particulary on rear derailleur (not sure if NX is better though)

have a friend on 3rd GX rear derailleur and LBS told me to go X01+ or nothing based on the issues they had seen with GX when i first enquired.

YMMV ofcourse

Duane_Bosch, Nov 16 2018 03:35

South Africa - where exchange rates even affect old stock!!

That's coz most of the stock hasn't been paid for yet.

keithbe, Nov 17 2018 06:28

Definetely does wear quicker. Had to replace a cassette and chain in just under a year. Shimano setup on my previous bike lasted 3 years with slightly less mileage.

Stevief, Nov 17 2018 10:49

Yip happened to me .  My GX lasted 7 months.  Had to replace the rear derailer, the chain, the casette and the jockey wheels and my front chaing ring.  Not impressed at all by the durability of GX TBH.  my old Xt lasted 3 years without missing a beat.  Now i got a xo1 chain as was also told that GX is not surable at all.

grinch, Nov 17 2018 02:33

Yip happened to me . My GX lasted 7 months. Had to replace the rear derailer, the chain, the casette and the jockey wheels and my front chaing ring. Not impressed at all by the durability of GX TBH. my old Xt lasted 3 years without missing a beat. Now i got a xo1 chain as was also told that GX is not surable at all.
🤔
Think I will wait for XT 12 speed

MphatiPyga, Nov 19 2018 06:45

This all has me worried, my family have created an itch that really didn’t need scratching with a birthday present in the form of a voucher for my LBS for a drivetrain upgrade. I am currently on XX1 x 11 with gripshift, now I’m scared of NX GX and can’t afford XO XX?

Lighthouse, Nov 19 2018 11:19

Good for you.

Save a bit and go XO is my opinion, personally I am very keen to go back to Shimano.

Derrondv, Nov 19 2018 02:44

I've had endless heartache with my SRAM GS - to my mind the components really don't seem to be able to take a beating. Got over my envy issues and fitted a complete 1 x 11 Shimano GS - sublime! should have done it sooner.

juan pelota, Nov 20 2018 01:08

sjoe....the comments on this thread are quite educational.