Cheap, tough 29er tyres

Jonesy's Photo Jonesy 21 Apr 2017

Need some tough 29er tyres on a tight budget. Not too bothered about weight, tubeless... just looking to run with tubes and a good puncture resistance. Cajees have something for R150. Anyone know about these? All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Jhbtanz's Photo Jhbtanz 21 Apr 2017

I would recommend Chaoyangs. They're pretty good at the price

Eugene Brown's Photo Eugene Brown 21 Apr 2017

No personal experience, but have heard the same. Also Titan tyres, and apparently Momsen too. Or Chain Reaction Cycles when they have killer deals.

Schnavel's Photo Schnavel 21 Apr 2017

They are great tyres, but the question is, where do you find them? They have become rather scarce. 

Allrounder's Photo Allrounder 21 Apr 2017

I bought a second hand mountain bike in Jan and was looking for a new set of tyres. because the ones on the bike was dead. 

Shocking what tires go for. 

Let me know where you get 29er tyres for 150. 

WaynejG's Photo WaynejG 21 Apr 2017

Chaoyangs available for R250

https://www.sportsma...d-mtb-tyre/4702

Eugene Brown's Photo Eugene Brown 21 Apr 2017

Check out Lerebiz advert in Classifieds

Grease_Monkey's Photo Grease_Monkey 21 Apr 2017

I can also reccommend Chayong for that price range. Had a set on a road bike a while back that were tough and very puncture resistent compared to other much more expensive tyres. I am sure their mtb tyres will be quality as well.

TDFN's Photo TDFN 21 Apr 2017

Need some tough 29er tyres on a tight budget. Not too bothered about weight, tubeless... just looking to run with tubes and a good puncture resistance. Cajees have something for R150. Anyone know about these? All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Never run with tubes. There is no reason to ever do this daft thing, even with non tubeless tires.

Tubeless is the only way and apart form the valve, if you are doing the proper job it costs the same. google ghetto tubeless.

Thanks guys for all your input. Much appreciated. Will go check out Sportsman's for those Chaoyangs.

Cheers

RiverInTheRoad's Photo RiverInTheRoad 21 Apr 2017

Life is too short for cheap tyres

Andrew_Smith's Photo Andrew_Smith 21 Apr 2017

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Chaoyangs tyres made in the same factory where Specialized tyres are made?

I heard something like that.

@Allrounder: MTB tyres are scary expensive! My friend usually jokes with me, because he rides a BMW Dakar and one tyre on the bike costs him about R1500, while we pay almost a R1000 a tyre for a MTB (less rubber).

LouisS's Photo LouisS 21 Apr 2017

I have a set of Maxxis Crossmarks LUST with more than 50% thread left which you can have. Send me a pm and you can come and collect if you want (Pretoria East).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Chaoyangs tyres made in the same factory where Specialized tyres are made?

I heard something like that.

@Allrounder: MTB tyres are scary expensive! My friend usually jokes with me, because he rides a BMW Dakar and one tyre on the bike costs him about R1500, while we pay almost a R1000 a tyre for a MTB (less rubber).

You are so right. Pricing on good tyres is just off the charts. Even with dismal exchage rates,why does the cycling industry wish to cripple the very people that give it reason to exist? I fail to understand how a bicycle tyre can cost a grand... Maybe they contain Myrrh.... as Jeremy Clarkson would put it.

I have a set of Maxxis Crossmarks LUST with more than 50% thread left which you can have. Send me a pm and you can come and collect if you want (Pretoria East).

Thank you for the offer Louis. I've sent you a pm.

Henryfeather's Photo Henryfeather 21 Apr 2017

There is a lady in Norwood that sell maxxis tyres for 450 and you get tyre goo with it
I only buy tyres from her.
She is on the hub