proposed school in Noordhoek with 600 stud...

Sue Z-F's Photo Sue Z-F 17 Jul 2017

To all cyclists:  This is going to affect traffic on Chapmans Peak drive for school days.

"

A new school for approximately 600 learners is proposed on the subject property which comprises Erf 4723 Noordhoek which is almost 2.6 ha in extent. The school will offer schooling in accordance with the Generation Schools model for all grades from pre-primary to high school. The school will comprise the following: Buildings with a floor area of approximately 5,500m²)  An all-weather playing field of ±2 200m²;  Pedestrian courtyard space, surfaced and landscaped spaces between buildings and walkways comprising approximately 5,000m²;  Internal roads and parking comprising ±3 800m²; and  ±10 150m² of natural open space comprising wetlands, ponds and greenspace."

If you oppose this proposed school please send an email to by 5 pm today.... sorry for the late notice....Send email to:

teytlern@gmail.com 

Myles Mayhew's Photo Myles Mayhew 17 Jul 2017

No. Extra schools are a good thing. 

marko35s's Photo marko35s 17 Jul 2017

To all cyclists:  This is going to affect traffic on Chapmans Peak drive for school days.

"

A new school for approximately 600 learners is proposed on the subject property which comprises Erf 4723 Noordhoek which is almost 2.6 ha in extent. The school will offer schooling in accordance with the Generation Schools model for all grades from pre-primary to high school. The school will comprise the following: Buildings with a floor area of approximately 5,500m²)  An all-weather playing field of ±2 200m²;  Pedestrian courtyard space, surfaced and landscaped spaces between buildings and walkways comprising approximately 5,000m²;  Internal roads and parking comprising ±3 800m²; and  ±10 150m² of natural open space comprising wetlands, ponds and greenspace."

If you oppose this proposed school please send an email to by 5 pm today.... sorry for the late notice....Send email to:

teytlern@gmail.com 

Sorry but no, some things are more important and this would be one of them.

dave303e's Photo dave303e 17 Jul 2017

have to agree, selfish to make someone else's necessity suffer so your hobby is not affected.

babse's Photo babse 17 Jul 2017

thats great news actually... thanks for sharing!  :thumbup:

rider#35's Photo rider#35 17 Jul 2017

"

teytlern@gmail.com 

Welcome to the bikehub.

I disagree, have you seen OuKaaps recently?

put 600 kids in a school on the valley side and that's a helluva lot less school lifting to Reddam and beyond.

Is there too much development in the valley? YES. is a school to accomodate this a problem? NO

Eddy Gordo's Photo Eddy Gordo 17 Jul 2017

WOW, its about time some more schools are built out that way, It will or should bring down the student numbers in nearby areas

Myles Mayhew's Photo Myles Mayhew 17 Jul 2017

Should see how this is being put forward on the Noordhoek Residents forum on FB. My word... Rabid comes to mind. 

mtgoat's Photo mtgoat 17 Jul 2017

Schools are more important, however with the toll I think many parents would be put off to use this every day. My 2 cents worth.

Pure Savage's Photo Pure Savage 17 Jul 2017

I do not think the catchment area of the school is going to be Hout Bay... I know so many complain about have to trek over Ou Kaapse to take kids to school to Reddam, Kirstenhoff etc. This should reduce some of the traffic on Ou Kaapse. 

Welcome to the bikehub.

I disagree, have you seen OuKaaps recently?

put 600 kids in a school on the valley side and that's a helluva lot less school lifting to Reddam and beyond.

Is there too much development in the valley? YES. is a school to accomodate this a problem? NO

Basically what I was typing. Kudos.

Should see how this is being put forward on the Noordhoek Residents forum on FB. My word... Rabid comes to mind. 

Its the hippy version of Hout Bay. They love a good moan sesh.

Wont be as bad as getting passed by a Noordehook mommy with a horse box taking up the whole road  :ph34r:

Skubarra's Photo Skubarra 17 Jul 2017

True that school is higher priority than cycling or whatever other recreational activity.

But on the flipside I don't think that the added traffic congestion due to a new a new school is a trivial thing - can the roads handle 600(?) extra cars during peak morning hours? Days are gone where you can just plop down a new school and sort out the other impacts later.

Similar issue in the northern suburbs where a new school is planned in Vredekloof (plus other housing developments) - both are desperately needed but Brackenfell Boulevard can hardly handle the current traffic as is, this is a f^&* up waiting to happen..

Edited by Skubarra, 17 July 2017 - 02:54 .

Pah Bear's Photo Pah Bear 17 Jul 2017

If any parent on the Houtbay side send their kids to school there, it would be asking for the ever so odd inconvenience when the Peak is closed, so I would suspect mostly Noordhoek residence will utilise this facility.

Agree with the comments. The more quality schools, assuming this will be one, is required so we can contribute to a positive influence on the next generation.

Plentipotential's Photo Plentipotential 17 Jul 2017

"

teytlern@gmail.com 

I'll just hazard a guess here.

You are not really a cyclist, first post and it's to try and drum up some support to stop the development of a school? Really.

Selfish twat.