Computers & Tech

Business Software Alliance (BSA)

Stretch's Photo Stretch 02 Sep 2014

we had it a few years back at my previous company....I cant remember what happened but we all passed.

So how does it work? lets say you have a cracked version of Autocad...you get a BSA notice...you just uninstall it? do the BSA requirements and then re-install it after?

shaper's Photo shaper 02 Sep 2014

Don't know, I assume they visit at some point to verify your self audit? Not having been through this before is why was asking?

jcza's Photo jcza 02 Sep 2014

Don't know, I assume they visit at some point to verify your self audit? Not having been through this before is why was asking?

If you provide full details including details of licences they won't visit and verify. Obviously if someone reported you they have an idea of what they are after, Microsoft, Adobe etc. Let me know if we need to meet at the local for a cold one.

Guest_Omega Man_* 02 Sep 2014

We are legal as far as we know. Currently doing an audit of machines using Belarc Advisor. Was more curious of what legal juristriction etc they have?

They usually give you a list of bits & pieces that you are not legal for and give you time to get legal or uninstall.

You've probably got a disgruntled ex employee that threw you under the bus.

If you're talking about MS products it might be time to go office 365. It uses a rental agreement and entitles you to upgrades and new versions as part of the deal. It's far easier to manage and isn't K@K expensive. A user license is R75 a month if I remember correctly.

There's lots of free/cheap software around tho that people just don't use. For my small business accounting I use Turbocash which is open source. for office there's open office and office student which is like R600
Edited by Omega Man, 02 September 2014 - 03:44 .

jcza's Photo jcza 02 Sep 2014

They usually give you a list of bits & pieces that you are not legal for and give you time to get legal or uninstall.

If you're talking about MS products it might be time to go office 365. It uses a rental agreement and entitles you to upgrades and new versions as part of the deal. It's far easier to manage and isn't K@K expensive. A user license is R75 a month if I remember correctly.

There's lots of free/cheap software around tho that people just don't use. For my small business accounting I use Turbocash which is open source. for office there's open office and office student which is like R600

Spot on. Office365 for small business is great, not only because of the Office Suite but also because of Exchange functionality.

Apart from Windows OS, don't have any other MS software, moved away from it to open source as much as possible, for outlook I use eM Client and for office use LibreOffice and Evernote.

If you provide full details including details of licences they won't visit and verify. Obviously if someone reported you they have an idea of what they are after, Microsoft, Adobe etc. Let me know if we need to meet at the local for a cold one.

Cheers JC, have sent through the self audit so will see what they come back with, if needs be will get in touch and we can go for a few cold ones :thumbup:

Skylark's Photo Skylark 02 Sep 2014

eM Client is excellent, own a copy of MS office/outlook but it's been unused for the last year or so.

Cois's Photo Cois 02 Sep 2014

They will audit you and then tell you what software you need to get.
They work with http://www.adamsadams.com/ to do the legal route

Once had to bust a client who used illegal software.

That is the reason why I got a Mac and why I use Linux where I can. Free software for all the apps that I need and the rest I can use on the company licence as I use my personal devices for work use.

Oh and also have a legal Office 2013 and Office 2011 (Mac) licence thanks to Microsoft Home Use Program. Legal is the way to go.

fandacious's Photo fandacious 03 Sep 2014

They will audit you and then tell you what software you need to get.
They work with http://www.adamsadams.com/ to do the legal route

Once had to bust a client who used illegal software.

That is the reason why I got a Mac and why I use Linux where I can. Free software for all the apps that I need and the rest I can use on the company licence as I use my personal devices for work use.

Oh and also have a legal Office 2013 and Office 2011 (Mac) licence thanks to Microsoft Home Use Program. Legal is the way to go.

I've gone the mac route as well - not due to legal software, but for other reasons. That said, I have no use for M$ anymore. I find google drive's apps far more useful.

I understand office365 is something in a similar vein, but google owns the entire value chain - Android device, gmail account, google drive storage, google docs etc.

Stiglitz86's Photo Stiglitz86 04 Sep 2014

One work "Linux"