Events

Sani2C - Adventure - GPS

Cderidder's Photo Cderidder 13 Apr 2017

So i am doing the Sani this year, but i just read that i need a GPS, which I don't have.  Are any other peeps out there riding without a GPS?

Squier's Photo Squier 13 Apr 2017

You should be OK, given the fact that there are 1500 odd people heading in the same direction. Many peeps have done so without a GPS.

That being said, the field can get rather strung out towards the latter part of Day 2 and it does get quite remote, so there obviously is an element of risk involved.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Ossie NL's Photo Ossie NL 13 Apr 2017

GPS is nice but not needed unless you plan to be leading the race.

If not just follow the guys / girls in front of you

EmptyB's Photo EmptyB 13 Apr 2017

So i am doing the Sani this year, but i just read that i need a GPS, which I don't have. Are any other peeps out there riding without a GPS?

Definitely not essential for Sani...

dirtman's Photo dirtman 13 Apr 2017

Rode it last year without a GPS  - no need for one, unless you plan to win the race!  More than enough riders to follow.

AdamA's Photo AdamA 13 Apr 2017

I used my cellphone with Maverick GPS App for TransDrak

Spinnekop's Photo Spinnekop 13 Apr 2017

I did Sani last year.

Took a wrong turn once or twice. 

If you can afford one, go for it.  I love my gadgets!

BigDL's Photo BigDL 13 Apr 2017

My gps saved us twice last year when we were following guys who went the wrong way. The off route beeping stopped us just a few metres along

shaper's Photo shaper 13 Apr 2017

Garmin Edge 500 will give you a basic breadcrumb direction which is good enough... did the Sani with one 2 yrs ago, no problem!!

Else look at the Lezyne Super GPS (wont break the bank) http://shop.twowheel...-super-usb-ant/

Here an article on it and using gps mapping https://www.dcrainma...e-computer.html

RocknRolla's Photo RocknRolla 14 Apr 2017

Edge 25 also does the job nicely, for not a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk